Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Gumball Machine Baskets, Part 3

Please ignore that I have my lid on all ready, it's easier to make and attach the handle before lid.

Glue two layers of the 1/8 inch wide card stock together. While this is drying bend it over the side of the basket to shape it. Be careful not to glue it to the basket, don't laugh! Let this dry and harden.
Find the center of each side of basket and make a hole. Use a "T" pin or small drill bit in a pin vise to do this. When the handle is dry trim to length and make a hole in each end.








Bend a straight pin at a 90 degree angle, I left a little less than an 1/8 inch at the head.












Now push that pin through the handle and rim of the basket. Use needle nose pliers to pull the pin and put the handle and rim into the 90 degree angle. Clip of the ends of the pins.














For the lid I turned the basket upside down and traced around the top onto card stock. I cut two circles out and stained them.











After they were dry I glued them together with Elmer's. Let dry.

















Cut the lid in two, not in the middle, off to one side. Used my Exacto knife/craft knife to do this.













For a hinge I used a small piece of fabric.














I glued the fabric to the underside of the lid.


Don't glue the pieces of the lid too close together, leave a hair's breath between the pieces. This for for opening the lid.


On to Part 4.